To promote, develop and facilitate creative endeavors, research and development at the University of Puerto Rico Mayagüez (UPRM) that foster the technological, economic and social wellbeing of Puerto Rico, in collaboration with government, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and the private sector.
To become the entity responsible for establishing world recognition of UPRM as Puerto Rico's leading institution for research and creative endeavors, and the one having the greatest contribution in the socioeconomic development of Puerto Rico.
OBJECTIVES, STRATEGIES AND TACTICS
UPRM R&D CENTER STRATEGIC PLAN 2008-2016
OBJECTIVE 1: PROMOTE
Strategy 1: Promote basic and applied research and other research endeavors.
- Tactic 1.1: Provide adequate seed money funding for research in thrust areas
- Tactic 1.2: Establishment of a technology transfer office with emphasis in capacity building, demonstrative projects and commercialization
- Tactic 1.3: Team up with other UPRM units to identify and engage in initiatives relevant to Puerto Rico’s current and future technological needs and challenges, along with industry and government
- Tactic 1.4: Strengthen the quality and quantity of research facilities
Strategy 2: Provide strategic direction to UPRM’s research and development activities.
- Tactic 2.1: Collaborate with other UPRM stakeholders and units to strategically plan the advancement of R&D through activities such as: identifying key research thrust areas, promoting research, evaluating and disseminating research outcomes. [UPR stakeholders and units include UPRM Colleges, Agricultural Experimental Station, Cooperative Extension Service, Intramural Practice Program and Office of Graduate Studies.]
- Tactic 2.2: Promote the establishment of a research and graduate studies deanship, or equivalent structure, to lead research activities on Campus
- Tactic 2.3: Benchmark to assess research needs, and postulate solutions
Strategy 3: Collaborate with government, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and the private sector to develop a scientific, technological and business ecosystem to serve the community with emphasis on Puerto Rico.
- Tactic 3.1: Team up with other UPRM units, the private sector and government to identify and engage in initiatives relevant to Puerto Rico’s current and future technological needs and challenges, along with industry and government
- Tactic 3.2: Develop MoUs with research partners and strategic alliances with funding sources (GDB, investors)
- Tactic 3.3: Open doors to external partners interested in high technology entrepreneurship initiatives
- Tactic 3.4: Promote Puerto Rico as an R&D hub
OBJECTIVE 2: MANAGE
Strategy 4: Manage efficiently the R&D Center resources (economic, human and infrastructure).
- Tactic 4.1: Continuously improve R&DC activities to achieve operational excellence, applying Lean-Six-Sigma for process optimization
- Tactic 4.2: Establish policies and procedures for infrastructure allocation based on UPRMR&D priorities, with the collaboration of the stakeholders
- Tactic 4.3: Develop a maintenance and conservation plan, which incorporates environmentally sound initiatives
Strategy 5: Procure the needed resources (economic, human and infrastructure) for the deployment and execution of the strategic plan.
- Tactic 5.1: Develop strategic alliances with funding sources
- Tactic 5.2: Recommend policies for resource deployment (human, infrastructure and equipment) to ensure successful research and development activities
- Tactic 5.3: Develop and submit, to appropriate authorities, policy drafts on staffing, space, shared facilities and instrumentation
OBJECTIVE 3: DISSEMINATE
Strategy 6: Disseminate research and development results within and outside the university
- Tactic 6.1: Publish and maintain a R&D magazine, newsletter, web page and blog
- Tactic 6.2: Establish and promote periodic R&D symposia for UPRM faculty, researchers and graduate students, in partnership with world-wide researchers
- Tactic 6.3: Disseminate and promote UPRM’s R&D capabilities