The R&D Center Budget Office provides support on budget issues such as the creation of new accounts, distribution of funds, and cost transfers, among others. It also serves as liaison with the UPRM Budget Office on issues related to the research enterprise at UPRM.
Fax: (787) 832-7912
Office Hours: 7:30 am to 4:00 pm (Monday through Friday)
Office Location: J-105 (R&D Administration Building)
R&D Center - Budget Office Services
Creation of New Accounts
Upon receipt of an award, approval of a contract or similar funding, the project PI will have to request the creation of an account within the UPR Financial System, now the new UFIS. In order to do this properly, the following steps must be followed:
- Collect documents pertaining to approved project:
- Award letter, contract or equivalent
- Legal document such as: award letter, official business letter, fully executed contract or any similar document that makes legal the agreement. This document must contain the following information, clearly stated: when the project begins and ends, amount approved, and any special conditions or restrictions.
- Copy of approved proposal
Very frequently, the project approved is a revised version of the proposal originally submitted. A copy of the final version and approved budget distribution and budget justification is required.
- Fill in the Request Form for Account Creation
- This is the letter style form to officially request the R&D Center Director the creation of the account. Click here for access to the current request form for account creation.
- Fill the Budget Distribution Form MP-001 (UFIS Style):
- This document contains the project title, account number, agency or contract number, beginning date, ending date and the proposed distribution of the budget, which must comply with the sponsor’s requirements and the UPR regulations. In this document you will distribute the funds into the existent UPR expense codes which include, among others: Salaries for Academic and Administrative Personnel, Fringe benefits, Materials and Supplies, Travel, Equipment, Fellowships and Stipends. On occasions, an approved expense may not have an exact equivalent within the UPR financial system; a good example is Participant Support. Thus, the use of the funds must be well defined and distributed among the other codes, as apply (e.g. stipend, fellowship, travel). Now with UFIS, there are many more codes, which must be clearly defined prior to account creation.
- For a copy of a fillable MP-001, you may click here: MP001 Form - UFIS Revised. To help you calculate fringe benefits for personnel, you may use this resource: FB Calculator.
- For questions, you may contact the R&D Center Budget Office at X-5207 or email Mr. Edwin Vélez at email@example.com
- Submit required documents to:
UPRM R&D Center
Call Box 9000
Mayagüez, PR 00681-9000
List of required documents:
- Account Creation Form
- Award letter or equivalent
- Copy of approved proposal (budget & budget justification)
The R&D Accounting & Finance Office will send you an “Account Creation Notification Package” that will contain:
- Newly assigned account number and distribution: The PI must use this number to refer to any budget and accounting issue related to project.
- Authorized Signature Form (AF-84-1): The PI must register its signature to have access to the different actions associated with project administration (contracting personnel, purchasing, and travel authorizations, among others). If a Co-PI or administrative assistant will also be carrying out some of these functions, the PI must authorize he/she for the particular action. Access Form here: Registro de Firmas Autorizadas.
- Corporate Credit Card Request Form (if applies): If you would like to request an application form, please fill this online Corporate Credit Card Application Request Form. For more information you may contact Ruth Montalvo, of the Administration office, at ext. 5203.
Remember: Once an account is created, please refer to the account number whenever you need assistance from the R&D Center.
Budget Changes Between Direct and Indirect Costs lines
In some cases the Agency may permit rearrangements between all cost lines with budget available. It s important to familiarize with the Prior Approval Requirements and the Special Award Conditions.
- No Cost extensions
Usually, the sponsor may require a written notification-justification for the no-cost extension some days prior to end of project period. Some projects only require a written authorization from the project leader. As soon as you receive the No-Cost Extension approved, send immediately to the Budget Officer of the R&D Center.
The carryover funds are those carried from one budget period to the next. Some Agencies may require a written statement describing how unexpended funds will be used.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are F&A Costs?
Facilities & Administrative (F&A) costs are those that are incurred for common or joint objectives and therefore cannot be identified readily and specifically with a particular sponsored project, instructional activity, or any other specific institutional project. At educational institutions, such costs normally are classified under the following indirect cost categories: depreciation and use allowances, general administration and general expenses, sponsored projects administration expenses, operation and maintenance expenses, library expenses, departmental administration expenses, and student administration and services. (From: Office of Management and Budget Circular A-21)
How are the F&A Costs distributed at UPR?
Figure 1 The F&A Costs Distribution. The R&D Center funds are used to support research administration services, provide matching funds for approved projects, and support institutional initiatives such as BioSEI. The Chancellor’s Special Fund supports institutional initiatives.
Can budget changes be made between direct and indirect costs lines?
In some cases the Agency may allow rearrangements between all cost lines within the available budget. It’s important to be familiarized with the “Prior Approval Requirements” and the “Special Award Conditions” for your specific case.
How can I get a no-cost extension?
Usually, the sponsor may require a written notification-justification for the “no-cost extension” some days prior to end of project period. Some projects only require a written authorization from the project leader. As soon as you receive the No-Cost Extension approved, send immediately to the Budget Officer at the R&D Center.
What is carryover?
Carryover funds are those carried from one budget period to the next. If allowed, some agencies may require a written statement describing how unexpended funds will be used.